Friday, November 30, 2012

Gifts


I normally try not to have expectations. The reason for this is because I am a very dramatic person, so normally my expectations are fairly grandiose, and of course, they’re let down quite tragically because they were too high in the first place.

I have this problem particularly when I give gifts. I’m not one to give gifts too quickly. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I’m pretty selfish and frugal and I get anxious when I have to spend money on gifts. That’s why I normally try to give things that are meaningful and fairly cheap. An example of this is last years Christmas gifts to my family.

I got each member a picture frame with a picture of the two of us together. Then I wrote a heartfelt note about how much they mean to me and how I love them. This was quite a success and I had both my parents crying. I was quite proud of myself.

On other occasions there are gifts that I’ve given and (to me), they seem unappreciated. I go into this whole gift giving thing thinking that the receiver of my gift is going be so moved that they’ll cry and say, “How can I ever repay you”!

You see? I’m quite dramatic. I’m not saying my friends aren’t grateful for the gifts I’ve given them; I just expect more of a reaction.

But this got me thinking a little bit… about the gift of Jesus. Sometimes I wonder if God feels the way I feel about my gift giving…. Underwhelmed. Here God sent His Only Son to earth to live among men, be pursued and tempted by the devil (which didn’t even phase Him and therefore He is the ONLY perfect human being), to be crucified on a cross and tormented by bearers of his image, and then to rise from the dead carrying our sins upon his shoulders. And yet, do I thank God for the grace he’s given me through his son? No.

I mean I do thank God for this gift, but do I thank Him in a way that is appropriate and glorifying to Him? I don’t think I do, at least not in the way he deserves. 

So what I’m trying to say is be grateful and show it to the Lord. We’re in the holiday season now, when it’s so easy to get caught up in the excessive shopping, Christmas shows and decorations, music and family time, (which are good things… well maybe not the shopping part) but let me remind you the greatest gift we have ever received. That gift is Jesus Christ. We are free when we choose to follow him and for that I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment