Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Small Dose Of Fear


The other day while at work a co-worker of mine had a moment of stress and he yelled “JESUS!” and then looked at me and quickly apologized knowing that I am a Christian. I replied with a quick “its fine”, and then I found myself pondering this little moment.

I wish would have said something a little different, because this guy put the LORD’s name in vain. I wasn't offended because I know for a fact he doesn’t acknowledge the existence of God. But I wish I would have said, “don’t worry about me, worry about God”. This may come off as a judgmental comment, but lets be serious for a second. If there truly is a God, which I believe there is, don’t you think using His name as a form of profanity should put a little fear in your britches? I do.

Listen, I’m not trying to get all high and mighty, but really think about what you say and who hears you. God does, and one of His commandments is to not put His name in vain. If you claim Him as your savior then that means you believe he has power over all creation, which should probably mean you should have a proper amount of fear for Him. I’m not saying this means that God is going to smite you, that’s where His grace and mercy comes in, but he has the capability to strike you down. So therefore approach your God with respect. Fear Him, be afraid of the fact that he can end you in a breath. Please, if you claim Christianity don’t say things like “Oh My God”, or “God Damn it”, because those are some serious things to say.

With all of that said. If you’re not a Christian or don’t believe in a higher power then please, don’t apologize to Christians for your choice in wording, because at the end of the day, you don’t have to answer to me or my brothers and sisters in Christ, but you’ll eventually have to answer to God. I’m sure you disagree with me, and that’s fine. But for your sake, I hope that someday God can reveal Himself to you in a way that you can accept Him.

So please, if you acknowledge Jesus as Lord then take the time to think about His name and respect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment