Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Joy I Have To Give

When I asked my parents why they named me Kaitlyn, they said it was because they liked it. I was so disappointed at their answer because I wanted my name to be something different, out of the box. If you didn’t know, Kaitlyn is one of the most common names in my generation. But after looking up my name on Wikipedia, I found that my name means “Pure”. My middle name is Joy… So my name means “Pure Joy”.

You don’t know how much finding this out moved me. Let me indulge you a little bit…

There was this guy that I knew last year who I don’t think I’ve ever seen smile. Every time I would see him, he would just be so dreary and say something in a dry tone, like “this day sucks”. When I meet people like this, I seriously wonder if they know the love of Christ.

I don’t want to say that you can’t be sad if you are a Christian, in fact, I think in our sadness we can be brought closer to God. But the way this guy lived his life, it was like there was no hope. Everything was dark and gloomy, and there was always something bad going on in the world. I ended up making it my goal to get him to smile. I would be so sweet to him, always complimenting his clothes or noticing if he got a haircut. Eventually, one day he said one thing to me… “Kait, I like your hair”. I felt like I had conquered the world that day!

When I was in high school I had a job as a waitress at our local diner. I loved that job because grouchy old people came there to eat. I made it my personal mission to put a smile on their face. I got pretty good at it too! I’d joke around with them or tell them a funny story, unless I could tell that they just wanted to be left alone. But really I think everyone needs a little pick-me-up here or there.

Above all, I think everyone needs to know that they are valued and loved. I’m a Christian, and I have a joy and a hope in me that only God can give to me. He completes me in every way I could ever ask for, and because of that, I want to share his love with the world. I want everyone I encounter, to see Christ in me.

That’s why I always make it my goal to make people smile. I don’t always succeed, but if I can brighten someone’s day, then I’m following my purpose on this earth.

For the longest time, I thought my identity was in what I did, which was sing… I was a singer. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve grown to realize that “Singer” doesn’t even come close to what my purpose in life is. In fact, I don’t even know if music is going to be something that I will be doing much longer. What I do know is that my sole purpose and identity is “Disciple of Jesus Christ”. As long as I’m pursuing that, then I am fulfilling my part in bringing the Kingdom here to earth.

At the end of the day, I want to share the Pure Joy that I have, and give it to others.

Its amazing how, without knowing, I’ve started to fall into the identity of my name. Isn’t God cool?!? So the gift I have to offer is whatever joy I can give to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment